Recycling, Waste Disposal
• WASTE ELECTRONIC AND ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT RECYCLING
• Garbage Collection Schedule
• Blue Box Recycling Program
• Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day
• RECYCLAGE D’ÉQUIPEMENT ÉLECTRONIQUE ET ÉLECTRIQUE USAGÉ
• JOURNÉE DE CUEILLETTE DE DÉCHETS DOMESTIQUES DANGEREUX RÉSIDENTIEL SEULEMENT
• Effective January 01, 2018, there will be changes to the Waste Management Contract.
• À partir du 1er janvier 2018, il y aura quelques changements au contrat de gestion des déchets
The Municipal Council of the Township of East Hawkesbury is now pleased to be able to offer recycling collection weekly to all residents of the Township of East Hawkesbury.
What Can I Recycle?
All containers must be clean.
GLASS BOTTLES AND JARS
Recycle all glass, food and beverage containers. Remove and discard lids and caps. Rinse containers. It is not necessary to remove labels. Do not include: other types of glass, such as dishes, window panes, light bulbs and mirrors.
- FOOD AND BEVERAGE CANS
Rinse aluminum and steel cans. Place loose lids in the cans and pinch the top to trap them. It is not necessary to removal labels. Do not include: aerosol or paint cans, frozen juice cans (unless all metal), metal pots or other metal products.
- NEWSPAPERS AND INSERTS
Tie or place in a bag all newspapers, flyers, catalogues, magazines, telephone books and hardcover books.
- PLASTIC CONTAINERS (PET) # 1
(Code located on bottom of container). Soft drink or juice plastic containers. Remove and discard tips and rinse containers.
- PLASTIC CONTAINERS (# 2) and ALL PLASTIC SHOPPING BAGS
(Code located on bottom of container). Javex, fabric softener, spring water and juice containers. Remove, discard tops and rinse containers. Plastic shopping bags are acceptable. Insert all bags into one, do not leave loose in blue box. Do not include: oil and toxic product containers, foam plates and cups, plastic film or plastic tops.
- CORRUGATED CARDBOARD
Flatten boxes and tie in a bundle.
Flattened cereal boxes, soap boxes, rice boxes, … These must be clean, empty and free of all plastics and metal bands and tied up in bundles. Do not include: gable top cartons (i.e. milk, orange juice, drinking boxes, tetra pak)
- BROWN PAPER BAGS
Brown grocery and shopping bags are recyclable.
- FINE PAPER
Fine paper, office paper, computer paper and colored paper.
- ALUMINUM TRAYS AND FOIL
Include clean, rigid foil containers such as pie plates, fast food trays, …, aluminum foil paper. Do not include: aluminum trays or foil, soiled with food scraps or grease. No foil with paper or plastic lamination, no butter, candy, cigarette wrappings or yogurt lids. No metallized plastic chip boxes.
- NEW! ALUMINUM TUBES ARE NOW RECYCLABLE In partnership with the R.A.R.E. Recycling Center in Alexandria, Montebello Packaging Inc. and the Joint Recycling Committee made up of the municipalities of the Town of Hawkesbury, the Township of Champlain and the Township of East Hawkesbury, aluminum tubes are as recyclable as aluminum beverage cans.
To obtain a blue box, or replace a damaged or stolen one, come and see us at the Municipal Office at 5151 County Road 14, St-Eugene, and we will give you a maximum of two (2) blue boxes for free. Additional boxes can be purchased at the cost of $ 10.00 each.
These items can go in your composter:
- Fruit and vegetable peelings
- Bread, rice and pasta
- Egg and nut shells
- Tea leaves and bags
- Grass clippings, leaves
- House and garden plants
- Sawdust and wood shavings
These items cannot go in your composter
- Plastic, metal, glass or Styrofoam
- Plastic bags or plastic wrap
- Aluminum foil
- Animal waste / litter
- Ashes or cigarette butts
- Diapers or feminine hygiene products
- Milk cartons (please recycle)
- Paper towels soiled with cleaning products
- Liquids (milk, juices)